The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 18
By Gaylon Kent
The Writer's Shack
December 30, 2015
While overall the field may not be as lousy as years past, even Tennessee has won three (3) games, the race for the Dan Henning Trophy - symbolic of NFL Bottom Ten supremacy - is tighter than, well, rest assured it's pretty tight, with no less than six teams still with a shot at coveted B-10 medal stand spots.
And how about the race for the Pete Rozelle Award - issued to the league's worst division - with both the AFC South and NFC East still in the hunt to have their "champion" finish with a .500 record?
This week's mess, as the nags limp towards the finish line:
1. Tennessee Titans (3-12; lost to Houston 34-6) - Titans all-in in quest for consecutive B-10 titles, with blowout loss and third three (3) game losing streak of 2015…The first, tentative mutterings of the D word - dynasty - starting to roll off lips of Titans fan(s)…Next Loss: at Indianapolis
2. San Francisco 49ers (4-11; lost to Detroit 32-17) - Pesky wins have prevented 49ers from racking up "notice me" losing streak, but convincing loss to lousy Lions, not to mention having loss in hand to Cleveland, has San Francisco still in hunt for first-ever B-10 title…Vegas odds makers place early over/under on actual attendance at home finale at 12.5 fans…Next Loss: St Louis
3. Cleveland Browns (3-12; lost to Kansas City 17-13) - Browns solidify claim to B-10 medal stand spot, impressing B-10 pollsters with ability to come up short in close, must-lose road game as curious 10-0 run in second half comes up short…Browns need help to take B-10 title, but first-ever medal stand berth there for the losing …Next Loss: Pittsburgh
4. Dallas Cowboys (4-11; lost to Buffalo 16-6) - Offense really humming, putting up only 29 points in last three (3) losses, easily overcoming defense that actually isn't playing too bad…Offense really humming, mustering only 14 first downs and one (1) red zone trip against Bills…Next Loss: Washington
5. Miami Dolphins - (4-11, lost to Indianapolis 18-12) - Defense sets strong, early tone, allowing safety for 2-0 deficit Dolphins unable to overcome …Loss in hand to Chargers helps, but early season blow-out win over Titans shows Dolphins still have long way to go to contend for B-10 medal stand…Next Loss: New England
6. San Diego Chargers (4-11; lost to Oakland Raiders 23-20) - Chargers give once stagnant B-10 hopes big boost with clutch loss…B-10 pollsters "pretty sure" this was first final regular season meeting "basically ever" between two (2) arch-rivals each looking to move next year and share a stadium in a city they both used to play in…Next Loss: at Denver
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-10; lost to New Orleans 38-27) - Game not as close as score indicated, with Jaguars bursting out to commanding 24-0 deficit… Jaguars make it close only after Saints replace first-string defense with members of Preservation Hall Jazz Band, looking to limber up before gig that night…Next Loss: at Houston
8. AFC South (23-37) - While division champion cannot finish with losing record, AFC South still easy selection for Marv Levy Broach - issued to AFC's worst division…Barring historic collapse, alleged NFL division on track for annual Pete Rozelle Award - issued to NFL's worst division.
9. NFC East (24-36) - Strong 1-3 mark last weekend not enough to upend AFC South, but still weak enough for weekly Ray Malavasi Pin, issued to worst division in NFC…Need Redskins to win division with .500 record to have any chance for Pete Rozelle Award.
10. Kansas City Royals/Mount Union Purple Raiders (World Series/NCAA Champions) - B-10 pollsters unable to let final column of 2015 calendar year go without further, final gloating about fave baseball, Division III football team…B-10 pollsters "really, really certain" this is first time ever both teams have won championships in same season…Next Loss: Neither of these teams will ever lose again…All are advised to surrender now...Thank you in advance.
This Week's Clash of the Titans: Tennessee at Indianapolis
This Is Don Criqui Reporting: San Diego at Denver
Comments? Recipes? Complaints? Contact the Writer's Shack here!