The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 17
By Gaylon Kent
The Writer's Shack
December 22, 2015
Here we are, two weeks to go, the Dan Henning Trophy - symbolic of NFL Bottom Ten supremacy - there for the taking and the only team who has lost as many as three (3) games are the Chicago Bears, and they have five (5) wins.
Thank goodness for the stability of the Tennessee Titans. The defending Bottom Ten champions remain in the driver's seat, with a convincing loss.
This week's mess, as the nags cross the sixteenth pole:
1. Tennessee Titans (3-11 ; lost to New England 33-16) - Steady as she goes Titans keep pace with routine loss in what B-10 pollsters were "pretty sure" was "darn near" first ever meeting of defending Super Bowl, B-10 champions…Can nail down third three (3)-game losing streak - always a fave B-10 bellwether - of 2015 with loss this week…Next Loss: Houston
2. Cleveland Browns (3-11; lost to Seattle 30-13) - It's not easy to cross the country and win in the NFL, but it usually isn't this difficult, as Browns overcome early, curious 7-0 lead for decisive road loss…Browns assured of B-10 medal stand berth if they lose out, but with Tennessee hell bent on defending title, will need help to take crown…Next Loss: at Kansas City
3. San Francisco 49ers (4-10; lost to Cincinnati 24-14) - 49ers not even bothering, busting out to 24-0 before showing late interest…Attendance announced as 70,779, although that included actual fans in attendance, multiplied by the amount of points 49ers lost by…Next Loss: at Detroit
4. Dallas Cowboys (4-10; lost to New York Jets 16-13) - Last week in no-man's land, teetering on brink of playoff berth, B-10 glory, Cowboys show they are all in for B-10 medal stand chase…Four (4) interceptions, four (4) punts make for an Interception-to-Punts ratio even B-10 pollsters can figure out…Next Loss: at Buffalo
5. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-9; lost to Atlanta 23-17) - Team with big B-10 aspirations back in hunt with clutch home loss that snapped Falcons six (6)-game losing streak…Showing mettle that impresses B-10 pollsters, Jaguars tie game at 17 in third quarter, before closing strong with a couple of punts while defense allows two (2) game-losing field goals…Next Loss: at New Orleans
6. AFC South (21-35) - Another weekly Marv Levy Broach - issued to AFC's worst division - in the books, as AFC South takes command in race for annual Pete Rozelle Award, issued to NFL's worst division…One third of this week's survey (again) made up of the division and two (2) of its teams.
7. NFC East (23-33) - Noted NFL division still with hopes of having "champion" finish with losing record and continues to be easy pick for Ray Malavasi Pin, issued to NFC's worst division...Cowboys losing out would make strong case for annual Pete Rozelle Award - issued to NFL's worst division…Next Loss: First place team not invited to NFL playoffs, but rather to first ever Bottom Ten Bowl, where they will play Cure Bowl champion San Jose State.
8. Chicago Bears (5-9; lost to Minnesota 38-17) - Bears aren't the worst team in the league, but their three (3) game losing streak is NFL's best…Bears will demand consideration for final survey of they finish season with league best five (5) game losing streak…Next Loss: at Tampa Bay
9. Atlanta Falcons (7-7; defeated Jacksonville 23-17) - Last week's darlings with hot six-game losing skid now just another.500 team with problems following crushing road win over lousy Jacksonville squad…Falcons, whose late B-10 run inspired losers everywhere, headed out of survey to take stock and reassess their goals this offseason…Next Loss: Who cares?
10. National Football League - Dallas Cowboys, who have all of four (4) wins, not eliminated from playoffs until third-to-last game…Two division leaders have .500 records…Three (3) teams want to play in two (2) stadiums in one (1) city next year…Next Loss: NFL will be around for a few more years, but with more and more kids not playing football, league could be done before this half-century is out.
This Week's Clash of the Titans: San Francisco at Detroit
This Is Don Criqui Reporting:Houston at Tennessee
Comments? Recipes? Complaints? Contact the Writer's Shack here!