The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 17
By Gaylon Kent
The Writer's Shack
December 17, 2015
With another #1 team losing, B-10 fans are focusing on what might turn out to be the most exciting race for the Pete Rozelle Award - issued to the NFL's worst division - ever, as the NFC East and AFC South battle it out. With both divisions featuring 6-7 first place teams, B-10 pollsters may be forced to rely on the tiebreaker, which they are sure is lying around here somewhere.
Meanwhile, all eyes will be on Jacksonville this week as the Falcons invade, looking to show they are legitimate B-10 contenders.
This week's mess, as the bags charge down the stretch:
1. Tennessee Titans (3-10; lost to NY Jets 30-8) - Defending B-10 champs reclaim top spot with strong, blowout loss, breaking out to 27-0 halftime deficit and cruising from there…24 rushing yards gained, 183 allowed show strong running game still key to B-10 glory…With B-10 race complete chaos, Titans can defend title by losing out…Next Loss: at New England
2. Atlanta Falcons (6-7; lost to Carolina 38-0) - It's tough for a six-win team to make B-10 medal stand, but with current six-game losing skid nobody is playing worse football - week in and week out - than the Falcons…B-10 pollsters "pretty sure" Falcons can become first team "more or less ever" to start season 5-0 and finish on B-10 medal stand...Next Loss: at Jacksonville
3. San Francisco 49ers (4-9; lost to Cleveland 24-10) - 49ers making late noises, with decisive loss to last week's #1 team…49ers coming on strong, having also lost three (3) of last four (4)…Next Loss: Cincinnati
4. Cleveland Browns (3-10; defeated San Francisco 24-10) - With B-10 title there for the losing, Browns blink with most untimely win in franchise history…After three (3) straight home games, Browns staff happy to hit road to avoid distractions of home in what is turning out to be a dogfight for B-10 title…Next Loss: at Seattle
5. Dallas Cowboys (4-9; lost to Green Bay 28-7) - Cowboys in that infrequent, dread state of being in race for both NFL playoffs, B-10 title at same time…Cowboys need help for both, needing to finish 0-3, plus have other teams win to earn B-10 title; win out, have everyone else in division lose, have New Horizons spacecraft reverse course, land on Pluto to make playoffs…Next Loss: NY Jets
6. NFL - Though league-wide .500 winning percentage isn't too bad, two-thirds of league, 21 teams, do not have winning records.
7. AFC South (20-32) - Runaway choice for Marv Levy Broach, symbolic of AFC B-10 divisional supremacy. Indianapolis and Houston have each lost two (2) straight and stubbornly remain tied for first with 6-7 marks…Jacksonville broke a two-game skid with a win last Sunday, are 5-8 and are a game back.
8. San Diego Chargers (3-10; lost to Kansas City 10-3) - Chargers peaking at right time, as offense has put up nine points in three of their last four games and have lost eight (8) of last nine (9)...Chargers so bad they are about to be eliminated from playoff contention for next year…Next Loss: Miami
9. NFC East (22-30) - Easy pick for Ray Malavasi Pin, issued to NFC's worst division…Division so bad 4-9 Cowboys are still in it.
10. Baltimore Ravens (4-9; lost Seattle 35-6) - Ravens throw hat into race for B-10 medal stand, with two-game losing streak…Ravens show strong finishing kick, easily turning 14-6 halftime deficit into type of blowout loss that turns B-10 pollster's heads…Next Loss: Kansas City
This Week's Clash of the Titans: Miami at San Diego
This Is Don Criqui Reporting: Atlanta at Jacksonville
Comments? Recipes? Complaints? Contact the Writer's Shack here!