The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 7
By Gaylon Kent
The Writer's Shack
October 15, 2015
One of the quaint Bottom Ten traditions is members of the 2008 Detroit Lions - the NFL's only 0-16 team - breaking open the champagne after the last NFL team wins their first game.
This year the 2008 Detroit Lions must be beaming with pride as the 2015 Detroit Lions are the NFL's last winless team at 0-5, ready to make a mockery of the race for The Dan Henning Trophy, as if that's possible.
This week's imbroglio, as the nags stumble their way through the clubhouse turn:
1. Detroit Lions (0-5; lost to Arizona 42-17) - Lions fans, thirsty for yet another 0-16 campaign, up in arms over benching of QB Matt Stafford, wondering "For who?"…Offense teams up for four (4) interceptions, two (2) fumbles and 57 yards rushing…Next Loss: Chicago
2. San Francisco 49ers (1-4; lost to New York Giants 30-27) - After losing three (3) games by an average of 26 points, 49ers show they can lose close ones, blow leads, by giving up go-ahead touchdown to Giants in final minute…49ers making big pitch for Worst One-Win Team Not In AFC South designation…Next Loss: Baltimore
3. Kansas City Chiefs (1-4; lost to Chicago 18-17) - Chiefs strut medal stand stuff, blowing 17-3 halftime lead…Kicking game key in second half, as Chiefs have FG blocked, miss another as time expired and punted four (4) times…Chiefs current four (4) game skid first since doing it twice in 2012…Next Loss: at Minnesota
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4; lost to Tampa Bay 38-31) - Jaguars continue to impress B-10 pollsters with ability to come from ahead, turning 24-20 third quarter lead into 38-24 fourth quarter deficit…57 rushing yards, two turnovers do usual magic…Next Loss: Houston
5. New Orleans Saints (1-4; lost to Philadelphia 39-17) - Defense taking game balls home in this one, giving up 519 yards, including a 186 on the ground…Game not as close as score indicated as Saints outscored 29-0 before scoring touchdown on final play as Eagles headed to locker room…Next Loss: Atlanta (10/15)
6. Houston Texans (1-4; lost to Indianapolis 27-20) - Rushing game humming on all cylinders, with Texans putting three (3) runners across magical "double digit" plateau…Helmets still nice combination of team colors, mad cow disease…Next Loss: at Jacksonville
7. Denver Broncos (5-0; defeated Oakland 16-10) - Generally regarded as the worst 5-0 team in NFL history, B-10 fans lamenting missed opportunities that precluded one (1) or two (2)-win start, but remain hopeful for strong second half…Next Loss: at Cleveland
8. AFC South (6-13) - Takes weekly Pete Rozelle Award, issued to NFL's worst division…40 percent of Week 6 NFL B-10 made of division or its teams…NFL, looking to increase international brand awareness, hoping to play future divisional games in Lebanon or Finland since nobody in AFC South divisional cities - or London - wants to see them.
9. Tennessee Titans (1-3; lost to Buffalo 14-13) - Titans show mettle you'd expect from defending B-10 champions, losing first one (1) point game of 2015 (2015)…Three (3)-game losing streak tied for best in AFC South…Next Loss: Miami
10. Kansas City Royals (95-67; American League Central Champions) - With Game 5 of division series occurring after B-10 deadline, B-10 pollsters confident Royals will sweep Rangers in American League Championship series…Next Win: 2105 World Series
This Week's Clash of the (Tennessee) Titans: Miami at Tennessee
This Is Don Criqui Reporting: Houston at Jacksonville
This Isn't Going To Be Any Good Either: Chicago at Detroit
Comments? Recipes? Complaints? Contact the Writer's Shack here!