The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 4
By Gaylon Kent
The Writer's Shack
September 24, 2015
Oh the humanity!
The NFL hasn't even had its first domestic violence arrest of the young season and already the Bottom Ten is in complete turmoil as the entire medal stand, not mention #4 Cleveland, came up with Week 2 wins, proving the old adage that on any given week any NFL team can lose to any other NFL team.
The catastrophe at the top paved the way for the Baltimore Ravens to leap eight (8) big notches to the top spot, as the race for the Dan Henning Trophy - symbolic of NFL Bottom Ten supremacy - promises to be as fierce as ever.
This week's fiasco, as the nags limp past the grandstand for the first time:
1. Baltimore Ravens (0-2; lost to Oakland - Oakland! - 37-33) - Ravens show B-10 mettle, overcoming four (4) deficits and still losing…Defense snatches defeat from jaws of victory, allowing go-ahead touchdown in game's final minute …Next Loss: Cincinnati
2. Chicago Bears (0-2; lost to Arizona 48-23) - Consistent Bears give up 14 points in each of first three (3) quarters, before, with loss already in hand, calling it a day…Bears offense settles down in second half, producing four (4) drives of three (3) plays…Next Loss: at Seattle
3. Seattle Seahawks (0-2; lost to Green Bay 27-17) - B-10 pollsters "mostly sure" Seahawks first team in "like, ages" to appear in consecutive Super Bowls and then appearing on B-10 medal stand…Showdown with Chicago this week will show if Seahawks are for real or not…We already know the Bears are…Next Loss: Chicago
4. Detroit Lions (0-2; lost to Minnesota 26-16) - Lions show importance of running game to B-10 aspirants, gaining only 38 yards on the ground while giving up 199…Lions 0-2 for seventh time this century…Next Loss: Denver
5. AFC South (2-6) - Takes weekly Pete Rozelle Award, issued to NFL's worst division…Division currently paced by defending B-10 champs (Tennessee) and team that started 2014 0-10 (Jacksonville).
6. New York Giants (0-2; lost to Atlanta 24-20) - Giants showing the type of character that leads straight to B-10 glory, losing both games by a total of five (5) points…Offense showing the way, producing a turnover and two (2) punts in final three drives before ending game by turning ball over on downs…Next Loss: Washington (9/24)
7. Indianapolis Colts (0-2; lost to New York Jets 20-7) - Offense sets tone, with five (5) turnovers and five (5) drives of ten yards or less…Colts another team that can establish strong B-10 street cred with loss this week…Next Loss: at Tennessee
8. Houston Texans (0-2; lost to Carolina 24-17) - Managed to avoid 2-0 starts of last two (2) seasons, but Texans still need loss this week to really solidify B-10 chances in the minefield that is the AFC South…Next Loss: Tampa Bay
9. Houston Texans at Carolina Panthers - First candidate of 2015 for B-10 Game of the Year honors, as Texans and Panthers thrill nation with 15 punts while showing mastery of fundamentals, combining for 20 (20) penalties.
10. Philadelphia Eagles (0-2; lost to Dallas 20-10) - God showing revenge for cutting disciple Tim Tebow, as Eagles still winless…Game not as close as score indicated, as Eagles waited until fourth quarter to get around to scoring…Next Loss: at New York Jets
This Week's Clash of the Titans: Chicago at Seattle
This Is Don Criqui Reporting: Indianapolis at Tennessee
Comments? Recipes? Complaints? Contact the Writer's Shack here!